Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fischer Motors Revisited

So the Fischer MRX is actually going into full production... OK, at the risk of again getting some flack from cybernauts, I've still got to raise a few issues about Fischer's new "American Superbike". Some of you may recall my critique of Fischer's marketing department and their choice to label the MRX as an American bike (see here and here). Now, I don't personally have a problem with using patriotism to sell wares when the label accurately fits (heck, it's worked rather well for HD); but the MRX is a British-designed, Korean-powered bike with more imported components than you can shake a shift lever at.

They've even got the cojones to claim the MRX to be the "first American Superbike"! Hello, paging Mr. Buell - are you listening to this. Granted, I'm not the biggest Buell fan either, but at least he used an American designed mill and tranny on his bikes.

Oh, and one last thing: I thought that superbikes had to have a 901 to 1000cc engine to fit the designation, at least that's the AMA's definition. Who let this little 650 v-twin in anyhow? Whatever, their marketing department doesn't seem to mind bending the truth now and then if it can get them more hype. I'll be curious to see if sales live up to all the expletives they're throwing around.

Anyhow, let the flaming begin...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky - no flame here man, I agree with you. Not to say that the MRX is a bad bike, but to call it American is a stretch. But many Harley parts are outsourced from overseas, so are they still American.

Lucky said...

Hi Josh,

As I'd mentioned in a previous entry, my intention isn't to diss the bike itself. For all I know, it may be a really good bike (although I'd probably go for the Hyosung GT650S/T and save a few bucks).

Regarding Harley's nationality; I won't even go there, as it's one of those arguments that nobody can agree on. Do you remember how the purists got upset when they came out with the V-Rod? A liquid-cooled HD! Blasphemy! However, it's been selling rather nicely wouldn't you say?

My personal opinion is that, like so many other domestic companies, HD's got to look after its bottom line. Unfortunately, that often means outsourcing bits and pieces to the lowest bidder. But I still believe the heart and guts of HD motorcycles remains as American as baseball and apple pie.

Cheers,
Lucky