Friday, August 12, 2011

New Horse in the Stable

I haven't ridden much this season. I try to blame it on many factors: the constant rain, low temps, mechanical gremlins in the old Seca... in the end, however, it's mostly due to this damn pinched nerve that causes my left hand to go weak and numb from time to time.

Ever try riding in midtown traffic and have your "clutch hand" go numb? Believe me, it gives a whole new appreciation to clutchless shifting!

So what's a guy to do? I guess the responsible thing would have been to push the old Seca to the back of the garage, under a tarp, and try to ignore the temptation until it goes away. Yup, that would've been responsible; but it wouldn't have been me.

Instead, I went looking for a solution to my predicament. How to ride without a clutch? Simple - get a scooter. I still need something that'll haul my aging carcass comfortably while ideally offering some space for the missus. So here's what I found:



I'll be picking up the Black Burgman on Tuesday. For now, I have to get a stall ready for her in the stable, next to the old mare (which I hope won't be too jealous).

Wish me luck!


"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." - Winston Churchill

6 comments:

SonjaM said...

Oh yes! Good decision, this is a beautiful piece. Enjoy!

irondad said...

Those things look so comfortable. I'm afraid if I ride one I'll become hooked myself. Hmmm....maybe time to develop a bad clutch hand.

No disregard meant to your own situation, of course. Sorry you have to deal with that. Hope this new ride works out. Keep us posted?

Lucky said...

Truth be told, I haven't even seen it yet... Except on the net! But I did ask a bunch of questions on burgmanusa.com beforehand. Guess it's a leap of faith.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Cheers,
Lucky

Giest said...

A scooter? Didn't see that coming. :) Hope it's treating you well!

Lucky said...

Giest - I'm the first to admit that it sounds crazy... but it's the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time!

Besides, I've still got the Yamaha for more - ahem - spirited riding.

Cheers,
Lucky

Giest said...

It's good that you got something that won't bother the hand too much. And I've heard they are quite fun to ride. :)