Thursday, August 18, 2011

It's Here! (But what is it?)

Got the keys to the new Burgman on Monday and drove it home from the dealer's in Amherst, NS. Granted, it's only 70 kms away, but it was an interesting ride nonetheless. I did get to familiarize myself with this new scoot.

Lessons learned:

  • The left lever is not a clutch (repeat five times before riding).
  • ABS on the rear brake is very effective at preventing lock-up when you grab a handful of the left lever (see above point).
  • It'll do 0 to 60 mph in under 7 seconds. Not impressive by sportbike standards, but plenty fast to spook the guy on the Road King when I merged into traffic on the highway.
  • 60 - 80 mph "top-gear" roll-on is surprisingly quick.
  • It can easily do 100 mph. On a long stretch of superslab, I had it up to 160 km/h and it still had plenty of pull. No doubt that it can reach 180 km/h.
  • CVT tranny means constant engine rpm's does not equal constant speed. Very surprised to find I was going 165 km/h at the bottom of a long hill!
Worst (or best) part about owning a Burgman: the inquisitive stare you get from cagers/motorcyclists/gas station attendants/innocent bystanders... Three times already I've been asked the question: What is that?

Answer: That's my ride.

"Yeah, it's a scooter. You got a problem with that?"


"I like to do things that are surprising and different." - Rudy Rucker

No comments: