Thursday, January 19, 2006

No Bodies Perfect!

Sometimes, a dark hidden side of me wishes that we were all the same... Same attitude, same size, same measurements - all identical, like a bunch of perfectly duplicated clones. Don't misread this; I'm not against individuality or free will, I'm speaking from a purely practical point of view. Wouldn't it be great if every man was a spitting image of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man? Think about how simple it would be to shop for clothing, or buy a lazy chair, or get a mattress! Instead of trying to design something that would be the best compromise for all body shapes and sizes, all the designer would have to do is make something that fits them perfectly - since they'd be exactly the same as all their customers...

POOF! Dream's over and reality kicks-in.

I love my motorcycle, and for the most part if fits me like a glove. Unfortunately, my butt doesn't fit in a glove (see previous post about custom seats). It would seem that my gut doesn't fit into any old glove either. Lately I've been shopping for a new riding jacket and pants to replace my rather bulky touring jacket. It's starting to seem like I've tried on thousands (when in fact it's only a few dozen) but regardless of how large the choice is, I still haven't found what I'm looking for (Oops! Gratuitous U2 plug). Most jackets are too tight at the shoulders, or bulky at the back, or are - well - just darn ugly!

My problem is minimal when compared to my wife's. If I can't find a decent riding suit out there, odds are that she won't be able to either. You see, there are far fewer choices out there for women (except for the leather clad biker-chick crowd). Add to that the fact that my wife is very picky - in essence the suit must be "just right".

I've started looking into some of the made-to-measure suits (like Aerostitch), but these are quite pricey and aren't the most stylish, opting for a much more utilitarian angle.

Whatever, it's still January which means that riding season is still a few months away.

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one." - Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: