Thursday, January 17, 2008

Need More Toys

I've been sitting on the fence for the past year or so on the issue of trading up to another bike. I can't really afford to have more than one in the stable, so it's always a question of finding the best allrounder. For the past four years, it has been the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, and I couldn't be more pleased. But the more two-up touring we do, the more SWMBO wishes there was just a bit more room to stretch around back there.

We'd been considering a few more touring-oriented bikes (read: bigger) and although the idea of more power and better ergos was interesting, I still knew I'd have a hard time saying goodbye to the 'Strom. Well, it seems I won't have to worry about it for another year. There's a few "must do" renos around the house that are going to seriously cut into the new bike budget... but not so much as there won't be any left for a few farkles!

OK, so I've got about $500 to spend on toys... but what will I chose? Here's the short list of things that I want:

  • Givi crash bars: Although I've been lucky so far... actually, scratch that. Luck has nothing to do with it. I've been a good rider, and thus far I've had no falls, but... you never know. These offer minimal protection (if any) to the rider in a crash or low speed fall, but they would probably limit the damage to the Tupperware on the 'Strom.
  • PowerMadd handguards: These are the Star series handguards. Not so much for protecting the knuckles from errant branches and twigs, but as weather protection from wind. I've also looked into getting the Suzuki OEM knuckleguards, but they cost about four times as much.
  • Bags Connection Camera Mount: Although Colyn in the BMWLT forum has done an interesting write-up on shooting from the saddle (pictures, that is), I'd much rather keep both hands on the handlebars as much as possible. I've already got the adapter ring on the fueltank for my Engage tankbag, so this would be an interesting accessory for videotaping those wonderful Sunday morning rides.
  • IMC Bluetooth Intercom: Man, would I ever like to cut the cord. I'm still waiting for more reviews to come in on this one to see how well it actually works. Wouldn't it be great to just put on your helmet and go?

So there are some of the goodies I'm looking at, but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe if I order just a few it would help me get over this case of cabin fever I'm coming down with?

No comments: