Monday, November 28, 2005

Perhaps I am a Bear.

Saturday night signaled a momentous yearly occasion - first snow. Although we didn't get much (only a few centimeters), it stuck; unlike some years when we get a "teaser" snowfall that melts away within a few hours. To me, the first snowfall is a trigger for many events, like the holiday season. It seems that the holidays just aren't right without some of the white stuff. I tried running away to Florida a few years ago for Christmas; but it ended up feeling too foreign. Palm trees and egg-nog by the poolside just weren't meant to go together.

Another event triggered by first snow is the dreaded motorcycle hibernation. It's that time of the year when thousands of motorcyclists shine-up their iron horses, take out the battery, make sure the fluids are topped off, and put them away for a long winter's nap. Not particularly my favorite thing to do.

I enjoy motorcycling so much that I dream about it... in winter doubly so! But for the lucky few who have their motorcycle stored in a heated garage or workshop: winter 'tis also the season for farkling. What better time to fool around with the latest accessories, toys, gizmos and gadgets in an ever increasing desire to build the ultimate ride. On my project list: re-upholstered seat, touring windshield, adjustable passenger pegs, and maybe some LED turn signals.

If you're looking for me, I'll be in the garage.

"Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments: