Friday, September 02, 2005

Sweet Temptation

Did something stupid yesterday... On my way home from work, I decided to stop by the BMW/Yamaha dealership because they're having a "Moving Sale" and all riding gear was half-price (and I need some new gloves). Got some nice gloves (only $34) and was on my way out when I ran into one of the sales reps. I'd met the guy a few times before, and we started talking. Eventually, I asked him what his current ride was (an obligatory question among motorcyclists) and he pointed to a BMW K1200LT luxo-tourer in the middle of the showroom. This surprised me because: (a) he's young, about 25, and (b) he had just mentioned how he likes to ride "agressively".

Curiousity finally got the best of me when he pulled the keys out of his pocket and casually asked: "You wanna try it?" Now this 2-wheeled yacht isn't really my type of bike - but when someone offers you a $30,000 bike for a test ride with no strings attached... Why not?

Just by sitting on the BMW I could tell that this was radically different to my little 650cc Suzuki. First word that comes to mind? Comfortable - think "easy chair with wheels". Second word? Intimidating - this thing was huge! Honestly though, once you get it over 10km/h the weight disappears.

Handling city traffic was a bit daunting at first, as I'm well accustomed to my über-flickable V-Strom, but I eventually got used to it. Where this motorcycle really shines is on the highway - I could literally ride for hours and hours without even requiring a "butt-break" typical to most other motorcycles. I also finally understood what the salesguy meant by "agressive" riding. Not only does this bike go fast; it does so without your knowledge. I was cruising along at what seemed like a nice leisurely pace until I glanced down at the speedo and saw the needle hovering over 160km/h. Took in a few backroads and the bike handled suprisingly well. Steep lean angles were not only possible, but fun!

Alas, all good things must end, and I finally brought it back to the dealer (with a mile-wide smile on my face). For now, a premium-priced bike is way out of my budget... But someday, maybe?

No comments: